IRS: ‘Where’s My Refund’ Snafu Won’t Delay Refunds

The Internal Revenue Service said today income tax refunds are being processed normally despite a glitch that is keeping the agency’s Where’s My Refund online tool from letting e-filers check their status.

“We expect the vast majority of tax refunds to continue to be issued within the historical range of 10 to 21 days,” the IRS said in a statement.

The IRS said it expects to resolve the matter “in a few days” and is taking steps to update information so that Where’s My Refund has current data.

This is the second time within a few days that the IRS has had problems with the Where’s My Refund tool. Last week, the agency acknowledged that some taxpayers who filed electronically could not find their information on Where’s My Refund. That issue was resolved.

The current IRS statement also reads:

“If a taxpayer received an acknowledgment message that their e-filed tax return has been received, they can be assured that the IRS has the tax return even though ‘Where’s My Refund’ does not reflect that,” the IRS said. “Taxpayers should not call the IRS unless specifically directed by “Where’s My Refund,” as there is no new information to give them.”

Related Articles

16 Responses to “IRS: ‘Where’s My Refund’ Snafu Won’t Delay Refunds”

1. Martha says:

the where’s my refund issue has not been resolved.

2. Pamela says:

I have been checking this website since 72 hours after I submitted my returns on 02/3/12, has never shown my information, I have called IRS, they still havent processed my return and they will not deposit my return until they process it. They stated that although it has been accepted, with the new fraud check they have to process it as well before a date will even show on their website…i was told I wait 21 days and if no refund call back…..this is crap and aparently they are not accountable for what they are doing to people. This money was desperatly needed!!!!

3. Lisa says:

I filed my return electronically on 2/3. The Where’s my Refund site said that I should receive my refund by 2/14. I finally got through to someone at the IRS on 2/16. She said that my return has not been processed yet. It has been “resequenced.” When I asked what that meant, she didn’t have a clue other than my refund will e delayed by at least a week, She just took down my name and phone number to have someone call me back. She really was clueless about everything. Are they outsourcing these IRS jobs now like some cruiselines do? That makes me very nervous.

4. LJ says:

Efiled and accepted on 1/21. Claims to be “processing.” Today is 2/19 and still no anticpated refund date and certainly no refund. IRS is has NO credibility.

5. Lola says:

I exiled on 2/1/2012 and it was accepted the next day. I still have never seen my info on where’s my refund, and when I called the IRS on the 17th they told me it hasn’t been processed so just keep waiting and hopefully you will get it this week- if not call back. Really? What is going on? I did my part, why can’t they do theirs?

6. Lola says:

I meant efiled.

7. kayla says:

i efiled on feb 4th with a estimated date of 2/15/2012… mine was accepted the same day i filed but when i go onto the where’s my refund website there is no information to be provided.. this is crazy.. if i owed them money they wouldnt be so patient with me. supposedly according to h&r block where i filed at the irs is a week behind so i should have my money deposited into my account on the 22nd.. hopefully that will happen since i have stuff that i would like to get taken care of.

8. Berta says:

IRS is a law unto themselves. If I owed they would be at my door. I had a 1040 EZ, nothing special, nothing changed, but still not refund. I even had extra taken out of my weekly check so I would not owe. Guess I will change that and next year they can wait until the 15th for me to file, and maybe with an extension to boot….. And their web site is broken, and forget calling, they do not speak English, not sure who they are giving jobs to, but it is not the unemployed americans.

9. Nerda says:

Come on Berta – no need to get all racist up in here. Most Americans that are unemployed could work but choose to stay away from jobs that they feel are ‘below’ them. Working in a call center is not an easy job, especially when having to deal with a flux of poor people crying about how they need their money to pay some bill or buy that 87″ flat screen tv. Most people that are in a hurry to get ‘their’ money have not actually paid in – but are getting a hand out from the government because they are low or no income and have kids. Do not be greedy and try to be a little more patient . . .

10. mwebber78 says:

I e-filed on 2/3/2012 also, the return was “accepted” through the e-file system. However, here it is 2/21 and the “where is my refund” website still acts like I never filed my taxes. I tried to navigate the 1-800# but basically they hold the line “processing takes 3 weeks so don’t call us again” until well after the 3 week date.

My accountant joked that folks with large retuns will need to wait longer this year as the Federal Reserve prints more money to pay out returns. All joking aside, the skeptical side of me thinks he may be onto something…..

Truly pathetic and the response is “oh well” on the part of the IRS – I bet they would have a different response if “I” wasn’t paying THEM….

11. adam says:

Come on Nerda! That was rude. Just because somebody filed early doesn’t mean that they’re poor. As for getting a hand out? Get real! Its our money and we want it! i paid my taxes and they’re not coming back to me. Its what people have OVER PAID that they are waiting on. Try educating yourself before jumping down someones throat over something you know nothing about! By the way, you must work for the irs.

12. mwebber78 says:

Well, just an update – here it is 20+ days after e-filing and I finally have a deposit date of March 6th. Let’s see if they actually deposit on that date or continue to push it out. The March 6th date would make it 33 days for a refund…..

13. Bob says:

This is the games played when you want to delay paying out when you have a deficit.

14. mwebber78 says:

Well another update (and just to vent) the “wheres my refund” site again shows nothing for my return. I love how they keep putting on message “Don’t call unless directed too” – must be sick of people telling them to $#@! off.

15. bnSD says:

the wheres my refund gave me it will be in my march 6th should i be expecting it this friday then?

16. lisa clavern says:

I filed mine on 1/26 and was told to expect it on 2/14 ,I got nothing and now they simply give you a recording of what the where’s my refund says.30 days so far and counting.But I have a friend that actually works in the dept where the software glitch happened and she filed 1/10 employees can file early and she still hasn’t gotten her money yet!imagine working in the building in the actual dept that isssues refunds and still not being able to get your refund.

Whatever idiot luunched this new software that caused the problem should be tarred and feathered.Anybody ever heard of testing it out first!!!!!