Americans Express said it has partnered with Twitter to allow card customers to purchase some discounted products directly through the micro-blogging service, adding a new level to merchant-customer interaction on social media.
Over the next few days, American Express card members who sync their eligible Cards at sync.americanexpress.com/twitter and tweet special #hashtags can buy American Express gift cards and products from Amazon, Sony, Urban Zen and Xbox 360.
Starting Monday, a $25 American Express gift card could be purchased using a synced AmEx card for only $15 by tweeting #BuyAmexGiftCard25 (beware: quantities limited, limit one per card member).
Here’s how it works:
- Card members sync tehri eligible Card at sync.americanexpress.com/twitter.
- They tweet special product #hashtags for the product they want to purchase with their synced card.
- Card members then check their Twitter mentions in the @ Connect tab (https://twitter.com/i/connect) for a response from @AmexSync containing a confirmation #hashtag.
- Tweet the confirmation #hashtag within 15 minutes of the response from @AmexSync to confirm the purchase.
- All products will be shipped to the card member’s billing address via free 2-day shipping, courtesy of American Express.
The partnership could spark a new source of revenue for Twitter, which has largely been reliant on advertising. Neither Amex nor Twitter detailed financial terms of the partnership, but the Wall Street Journal said Twitter wouldn’t rule out taking a cut of future e-commerce sales.
The American Express partnership provides a new social media platform on which Twitter links marketing activity on its site directly to purchases.
American Express’ proprietary Card Sync technology powers the Twitter experience. Card Sync first launched on Twitter last March to deliver “couponless savings” to card members who tweet special offer #hashtags from merchants.
Card members can purchase discounted products beginning Wednesday, February 13 at noon EST, when the full list of product #hashtags will be released as “favorites” on the @AmericanExpress Twitter page. Here’s a sampler:
- $25 American Express Gift Card: $15.00.
- Amazon Kindle Fire HD: $149.99 plus tax.
- Sony Action Cam & Waterproof Headband Mount: $179.99 plus tax.
- Urban Zen Bracelet Designed by Donna Karan: $80.00 plus tax.
- Xbox 360 4GB console with a 3-month Xbox LIVE Subscription and 2 game tokens: $179.99 plus tax.
- Xbox Controller: $29.99 plus tax.